Monday, December 8, 2008

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Welcome to FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! This is my newest blog where I try to bring updates in the world of mixed martial arts (MMA) through some of the best sources for MMA news and also give my thoughts on fighters, events, matches and happenings in the world of MMA.

A little bit about myself. I'm a 23 year old Malaysian who enjoys singing and performing on stage, which is my main forte, but in addition to that, I love watching MMA fights. My first real exposure to MMA actually came in 2003. I've been a pro-wrestling fan and still am up till today and it was through pro-wrestling where I discovered MMA due to the cross-promotions between both sports during that timespan. This resulted in me once traveling to the Tokyo Dome that same year and catching a few MMA fights live and in person, which included fighters such as Tsuyoshi Kosaka, Josh Barnett, Kazuyuki Fujita and also Lyoto Machida, who made his MMA debut on that night. It was also on that same year where in Japan, I watched my first K-1 fight on TV which was a bout between Musashi and the now-retired K-1 fighter, Nobuaki Kakuda. It was then when I studied in Perth did I discover a Japanese store which not only sells Japanese food products, but DVDs of TV shows and manga can also be rented at the store and this include MMA shows, such as all three of FEG's brands, the K-1 World GP, K-1 World MAX and the now-defunct HERO'S (currently replaced by DREAM). PRIDE and pro-wrestling events from New Japan and NOAH can also be rented there as well. By being able to rent and watch these events, I was able to enjoy watching these sports even further and developed a passion for them.

I must truly admit though that I find it simply frustrating that MMA events are currently not being shown in Malaysia. Last year, there were K-1 World GP, Cage Rage, King of the Cage and UFC events shown on Astro Box Office Sports, but since I was out of the country to further my studies for a year, I was unable to catch them, save for two UFC events and the terrible Dynamite!! USA event. Having completed my studies for good, I was hoping to catch more MMA events on the PPV channel, but unfortunately, due to what I would assume were poor buyrates since not many Malaysians save for a few like myself are into MMA, there are no longer any MMA events shown on Astro anymore. In addition to that, MMA DVDs are not even sold here and the only way for Malaysians to be able to get them easily are to either purchase them online or head on down to Singapore to buy them.

As a graduate with a Degree in Mass Communication, majoring in Journalism, I thought it might be a good idea to put my skills to the test and this blog might be useful to do so. At the same time, I would love nothing more than to try and spread the awareness of what is quickly becoming a huge trend in the world of combat sports today right here in Malaysia. I do hope you guys can frequent this blog as often as possible as it would be great for Malaysians to try and stay up-to-date regarding the happenings in the world of MMA today and also acquire some much-needed info and knowledge of the sport.

Till then, hope you enjoy this blog and become a loyal reader of FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

No comments: